What is Mediation?
Family mediation is where an independent, professionally trained mediator helps you and your ex to work out an agreement about issues such as: Arrangements for children after you break up (sometimes called residence or contact), including child maintenance payments.
- Mediation is the best way to resolve disputes between parents. Unfortunately, it often happens that one parent is unwilling or unable to join the mediation process.
- Mediation is a voluntary process and parties cannot be forced to mediate.
What Problems can be Brought to Mediation?
Any or all of the problems that arise when couples split up can be brought to mediation:
* Arrangements which concern the children, such as drawing up a parenting plan which would include contact and care arrangements.
* Maintenance – child and spousal
* Property and financial matters.
The mediator/s help couples resolve the legal and financial issues as well as reach agreement regarding arrangements for the children. The mediation process enables the couple to reach a lasting agreement and avoids the polarization and hostility often caused by the divorce / separation.